Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pedagogy Post Week 9

I had an interesting experience with an assignment for my other graduate class, Dr. Erben's early American seminar. The assignment called for me to draft up a book review for a monograph focusing on Susanna Rowson.  In a section of my paper I write, "The first chapter enacts the notion of the sentimental seduction novel to firmly establish the dangers of premarital sex and pregnancy, should the “young and thoughtless of the fair sex” (5), as Rowson terms them in her preface to Charlotte Temple, pursue less than virtuous interests." The other day I had my father read the paper for clarity and he asked me why I didn't use the verb"label" instead of "term"?  My explanation not only answered his question, but reminded me of the creative nature of critical analysis. I told him that I chose the word "term" as it rings a little more "clinical" and does not carry all of the abstract "baggage" that label does. Though this moment seems a bit trivial, I believe it was useful as it helped me to remember that creative elements can invade pretty much anywhere. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment